Saturday, July 26, 2008

It was a wild hair

Yeah so after heavily considering buying a bike, Ive decided to switch that plan and pass.

There were many reasons not to, it just seemed that once I had it in my mind, I encountered many instances of bike accidents.

Mom running into a man that had road burn all over his face
then a woman who is married to a ER surgeon and said that people like bike riders are what keeps her husband employed.

While visiting a cousin, she gets off the phone with a friend that was in a serious bike accident, of course Im sitting right there so as soon as she gets off the phone she informs me of the accident.

A friend that texts me telling me about a local man being killed in an bike accident.

Newspaper articles about biker deaths.

Several deaths on the news that were contributed to bike accidents.

It does seem odd that all these encounters happen after the decision to get one.

Maybe its a sign, one I believe I should heed and be aware of.

One thing that all these incidents had in common was the biker was not responsible for the accident. It wasnt their driving abilities but the other drivers abilities to look for bikes, know how to pass a biker properly without clipping him, etc etc.

I know Im a safe driver, I havent had an accident yet (knocks on wood) so I trust my ability to drive safely.

It came down to the trust or lack thereof for other drivers.

So as much as I have wanted one, and the chances of getting one are better now than have ever been, its just not worth the risk of my life.

Leaving behind family and friends too early is not a thought I want to have.

1 comment:

TAMMY said...

Hey Jared! This is Angela's friend Tammy(the one you called a lady of ill repute at ihop)I was just gonna let you know i had a golden retriever named CHICKEN. Oh yeah sood going on the picture taking and them jokes!!! okay bye!!! TAMMY THE STREET WALKER